- The message “Network discovery is disabled” or “Network discovery disabled” is one of the most annoying when we think of home work environments, where trying to share a network
- Just as there are several causes that produce it, there are several possible solutions for this message, and we will review them below so that you can try each of them until you can free your computer
Unfortunately, network problems are more common than we would like in Windows, and this affects both Windows 10 and Windows 11. One of the most repeated errors is the one that carries a particular message, which says “Network discovery is disabled” or “Network discovery disabled”. How to remove it?
Well, that is exactly what interests us for the following lines, considering that Network Discovery is a too frequent inconvenience, due to the name of the function in English, The fault of which users are unable to access other devices that work on the same WiFi network, with all the obstacles this poses in terms of productivity within classic work environments.
Following the descriptions that appear in both forums and social networks, we find that this message it is not resolved either when network discovery or discovery is activated, as would be logical.
Goodbye to the message “Network discovery is disabled”
Fortunately, We have several tricks that could help you in these kinds of situations, and we are going to review them, recommending as always that you follow them in the order in which they appear here.
Change advanced sharing settings
The first thing you have to do with this disabled network discovery is change the advanced sharing settings on your PC, which will take a few seconds in any of the Windows versions.
- Open the Control Panel on your computer, pressing the Windows key and searching for “Control Panel”
- Open the section dedicated to Networks and Internet, and enter the Network and Sharing Center
- Click Change advanced sharing settings on the left panel
- In the Private section, enable network discovery and activate automatic device configuration …
- In the File and printer sharing section, activate file and printer sharing
- In Guest or Public, enable the “Enable network discovery” and “Enable file sharing …”
- Finally, you must save all the changes entered and restart your computer to try your luck
Manage Windows services
If the above method did not fix the network discovery problem on your Windows 10 or 11 computer, we must go to the second of the solutions in which to trust in these cases, following this procedure.
- Press the Win + R buttons to open the Run window
- Type “services.msc” and press Enter
- Next, scroll down and look for Function discovery resource publication, double-clicking to enter, to change the Startup type to Automatic, and clicking OK in Service status
- Next, look for the DNS Client service, and make sure it is also set to Automatic
- Finally, search for SSDP Discovery, open it and change it to Automatic within the drop-down menu
- Save all the changes made and restart your computer to try your luck with them.
Adjust firewall settings
- Press the Windows key and search for Windows Firewall on your Windows 10 or 11 computer
- Open the “Windows Defender Firewall” settings in the Control Panel
- In the left pane, click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall
- Then, you have to click on Change settings, in the upper right corner
- Then look for “Network Discovery”, make sure it’s active, and Private and Public are enabled
- Then click OK, saving the changes, and restart your computer to try your luck
Reset the network
If none of the above methods fixed the problem, then you may need to reset the network for your Windows 10/11 computer, which shouldn’t take too long either.
- Press the Windows key, search for Network Reset and open it
- Click Set Now
- Restart your PC
The “network detection is disabled” problem should automatically disappear when you have done this procedure, so when you restart your computer, it is normal that you no longer perceive its presence.
These are the four ways we have to solve the problem “Network discovery is disabled”, both in Windows 10 and 11. For most users, the first method should mean that they have left behind the error of network discoveries , but if that was not enough for you, just continue with the other solutions.
Beyond that, these are the only troubleshooting methods at hand, so if none of the tricks have resolved your computer’s errors, we directly recommend that you try using a pre-failure restore point.