The standard font for Windows 10 is Segoe UI. And the user will not be able to choose another option if he does not know how to change fonts on a Windows 10 computer using built-in utilities or third-party software.
Customizing the Display of texts will improve the level of comfort and make the operating System interface more familiar, for example, similar to the design of previous versions of the System.
Using standard system functions
The easiest way to learn how to change the system font in Windows 10 is using the built-in utility. It is called the Registry Editor and requires the following steps to customize the Display of text:
- Go to the utility itself: use the Win + R key combination, and then enter regedit.
- Select the Fonts section, which is located in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows NT / CurrentVersion branch.
- Remove all values for those fonts whose names match the standard Segoe UI – except for Emoji.
- In the same registry key, find the FontSubstitutes section.
- Create a string parameter called Segoe UI and enter the name of the new font in the value string, which will be installed by default.
- To complete the changes, you must log out of the registry and from the System in general. Then go back in.
The name of a suitable font can be found in the Windows \ Fonts directory located on the system partition. And to find out how the individual letters will be displayed after the change, the built-in “Symbol Table” function or the MS Word text editor will help.
Change for the latest system updates.
Modern versions of Windows 10 can set new font sizes without changing the scale of other elements. Its advantage is that there is no need to download and install third-party software. To increase the font size of Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Settings” application (you can press Win + I).
- Open the accessibility section.
- Go to “Display” and specify the values for the new text sizes, which are set as a percentage of the default.
- Apply the selected settings and wait until they take effect.
You can try changing the size of the symbols by setting new scaling settings. To do this, you will have to open the Settings app again, go first to System, then to Display, and finally to the Scale and Layout section. Here you can choose how the system elements will be scaled, along with which the font sizes will change.
Settings for older versions
If the version of the System is relatively old, before 1703, it is possible to change the size of its fonts by following these steps:
- Go to the Display section in the Settings app.
- Select additional screen options.
- Select additional changes for items.
- Find a section where you can change text-only parameters and make changes for individual system elements.
If desired, in the same window, you can increase or decrease the size of all elements that will change along with the text parameters. Changes will be accepted after clicking on “Apply”. You don’t even need to exit Windows, as with other methods.
Return to standard Display
Having figured out the possibilities of setting new text parameters, it is worth getting acquainted with how to return the standard font to Windows 10. To do this, do the following:
- Go to the system fonts tab.
- Open the font options section.
- Press the button to restore all parameters.
After that, the characteristics of the text will return to the values set in the System by default. Refunds work in most cases. Although, before using the registry, you should create a “Restore Point” – or save a copy of the file using third-party software such as CCleaner.
Programs for changing the font in Windows 10
Among the ways to change the font in Windows 10 is the use of programs specially designed for this purpose.
Winaero Tweaker utility
Here the procedure is as follows:
- Open the utility and go to Advanced settings.
- Select an option from the available list – the text in the status bar, titles, and even icon captions are available for editing.
- Click on Change font, choosing a face, size and style.
- Save changes (Apply changes), exit Windows and go back.
Everything that has been changed in the program is just as easy to restore. To reset the settings, select the corresponding button (Reset) in its main menu. When you click it, the text display settings will be the same as before using the utility.
Advanced System Font Changer
Another method to help you change the font on your Windows 10 computer is to use the Advanced System Font Changer. It is not difficult to work with the utility – follow these steps:
- Go to the utility and select the fonts that will be changed from the list.
- Set text parameters. When using the utility, you can change the fonts of the titles, menu items and the status bar in the window.
- If necessary, make changes to the characteristics of other elements.
You can use the Advanced System Font Changer program for free by downloading it from the developer’s official website. If you need to reset the settings, you can use the Default button located in the main utility window.
System Font Size Changer
System Font Size Changer helps you change your Windows 10 font settings by making changes to the registry. Moreover, before starting, the program offers to save the reg-file with the current parameters. It should be opened when you need to return to the default settings.
In the program window, you can adjust the font size or make it bold (Bold). Standard elements of the System are available for editing – headers, menus, message boxes, signatures and names of panels. Unlike most similar utilities, even the font of the hints changes with this one.
How to add a font to Windows 10?
The method described below will help not only install fonts in Windows 10, but also in older versions of the System – for example, in Windows 7.
Installing a new font in Windows is quite simple – after that you will get a new beautiful option for decorating texts in different programs. This will be useful when working with documentation or layout of large graphic projects.
Windows font extensions
Fonts in Windows are the most common files that contain information about text-decoration. Typically, they are in ttf or otf format, which stands for TrueType and OpenType. Sometimes there is a woff type – it can be converted to a more popular format using online converters.
Original and custom fonts can also be PostScript Type 1 – a set of files (up to 4) with the extensions pfm, p, afm, and inf. To install such a combined font, the pfm. However, Type 1 is scarce – and most likely, you will not work with it.
Windows 10 fonts folder
All installed Windows 10 fonts are located in the folder of the same name at C: \ Windows \ Fonts. You can copy it into the address bar of the explorer or fill in the keyword “Fonts” in the search – the desired folder will be the first in the list.
Where to download a new font for Windows
Download the font before installing. Both specialized sites and the Microsoft Store available in Windows 10 are suitable for this.
To download fonts from the store, you need to open “Start” and go to the section “Settings” – “Personalization” – “Fonts”. Clicking on the Get More Fonts From Microsoft Store button will take you to a list of options available for download.
If you want to download a font from the Internet, take a look at www.1001freefonts.com. It has a clean interface, almost no ads, and a large selection of free and beautiful fonts.
How to install a font on a Windows 10 computer
For example, we downloaded the beautiful Courier Prime font. It can be installed in three ways.
The font downloaded to your computer can be easily installed directly from the downloads folder without opening the file. Just right-click on it and select “Install”.
You can also do this by opening the font. It will be displayed as a separate window with examples of phrases – you can immediately evaluate how they will look in a text editor and when printed. In the upper left corner there will be a button “Install” – click on it, and in a couple of seconds the font will be registered in the System.
Another installation method is to transfer the font file to the Fonts folder. Hook it with your mouse and drag it to the section with fonts – and it will be installed automatically.
After that, the installed font will appear in all programs that allow you to work with text: Word, Excel, Photoshop. However, you will have to restart them to display the new fonts.