Your Twitch name is the ID that lets other Twitch users know who you are. If you are a Twitch streamer, it is your brand, your identity. For viewers, it allows you to become a familiar face in the Twitch community.
If you don’t like your Twitch name, you can change it. If you decide to change your Twitch name, there are some limitations to be aware of first, but otherwise it’s a straightforward process. This is what you need to know.
Can you change your Twitch Username and Public Name (Display Name)?
If you want to change your Twitch name, don’t worry, you can. However, there are some limitations that you should be aware of first, which are designed to prevent you from abusing the feature.
First of all, you have to be aware of the difference between your Username and you public name from Twitch. In general, they mean the same thing, but there is a subtle difference: your Twitch username is always lowercase, while your public name allows uppercase.
Your username will appear on your Twitch account profile and next to your name on a Twitch streamer’s chat channel. The public name and user name (other than capital letters) must be the same.
If you want to change your Twitch username, the biggest limitation is time as you can only change your Twitch username once every 60 days. You will also need to ensure that your new Twitch username does not violate the Twitch Terms of Service. That includes avoiding sensitive or abusive words or phrases.
If you are not happy with the name you have chosen, you are out of luck. You will have to wait for the 60 day period to end to try again. However, there are no limits to the number of times you can change your username.
How to change Twitch’s public name on desktop
If you want to change your Twitch name on a PC or Mac, the steps are pretty straightforward. These steps allow you to change your Twitch username first. You can then change your public Twitch name. If you just want to change your public name, skip to that section.
You will need to ensure that you can log into your Twitch account from your web browser before continuing. You should also remember that you can only change your Twitch username once every 60 days. Make sure you are happy with your new username before continuing.
How to change Twitch username (username) on PC or Mac
You can change your Twitch username on your PC or Mac by following these steps:
- Open the Twitch website and log in.
- Once you have logged in, press the account icon in the upper right.
- From the menu, select Setting.
- You will access the menu of your Twitch account. In the tab Profile from the menu Setting, scroll down to the section Profile settings.
- To change your username on Twitch, press the button Edit next to the box Username.
- In the frame Change username, enter a new username for your account.
- If it appears a green tick above the box, you can use it; press To update to confirm.
How to change the public name of Twitch on PC or Mac
If you change your public Twitch name, your username will be capitalized on your profile and in Twitch chat rooms. You can change your public Twitch name at any time, you don’t need to change your username first.
To change your public Twitch name on PC or Mac, follow these steps:
- Open your browser and visit the Twitch website, then log in.
- Press the menu icon> Settings.
- On the menu Profile > Setting, scroll to Profile settings.
- To change your public name on Twitch, change the capitalization of your username in the box Public name. Characters (other than uppercase) must match.
- Press Save Changes to confirm the change.
How to rename Twitch on Android, iPhone and iPad devices
If you use the Twitch mobile app on Android, iPhone, or iPad devices, you can change your Twitch username or public name in the app itself. These steps should be the same on both types of mobile devices.
How to change Twitch username (username) on Android, iPhone and iPad
Make sure you have installed the Twitch app on your device and are signed in. Once you’ve done that, follow these steps to change your Twitch username.
- Open the Twitch app and tap the profile icon in the upper left.
- In the menu of the Bill, tap Account Settings.
- I touched Bill at the top of the menu Setting.
- Press Edit profile.
- To change your username on Twitch, tap Username.
- Read the instructions carefully, then press Change username to confirm.
- Enter your new username in the box Username.
- Press Keep in the upper right to confirm the changes.
The change will take effect immediately, and you will need to use your new username to log into Twitch from then on. You will not be able to make any further changes to your username for at least 60 days.
How to change the public name (display name) of Twitch on Android, iPhone and iPad
If you’ve changed your Twitch username, the steps to change your public name on your mobile device are similar. This is what you will have to do.
- Open the Twitch app and tap the profile icon.
- Press Account settings on the menu Bill.
- Then tap on Bill.
- Press Edit profile.
- To change your Twitch username, tap the box Public name.
- Enter your new display name in the box provided; it must match your username (other than uppercase).
- Press Keep at the top right to confirm the change.
Unlike your username, you can repeat these steps to change your public Twitch name as many times as you like. If you don’t like the capital letters you used, repeat the steps to go back or make another change.
How to use your Twitch account
The steps above should help you change your Twitch name, either your username or your display name. Once you are happy with the changes you have made to your Twitch profile, you can start enjoying the platform.