If you have multiple CSV files and we wish to combine these in a single book of Excel, it is possible to do so, it will even end up being more efficient than editing each file separately. It does not matter if we have opened them in any other application, we can do this method to join them and it is very easy.
Let’s pretend that a person sent us three CSV files that have information about a project. Now we will have to combine them, it is the ideal time to use this method.
How to combine or merge multiple CSV files into one Excel workbook
- The first thing we will have to do is create a new folder and paste all the CSV files into it.
- We open the folder and then right click on an empty space, we will select the option “Open in Windows terminal”.
- Next, we are going to use the command “copy * .csv newfile.csv” without the quotes.
- We will double click on the csv file to open it.
- After this we click on File> Save As.
- We select the location where we want to save the file.
- Here we are going to choose Excel Book format (* .xksx) in the Save as type drop-down list.
- Finally, we click Save.
Now we are going to take these steps in a little more detail so that it is better understood. We can organize all the files we want. We open the folder, right-click on an empty space and select Open in Windows Terminal.
We have to make sure that command prompt was opened. However, if we open Windows PowerShell instead, we will have to do something else to open the Windows Terminal command prompt in that associated folder. For that we will right click on the folder and select the copy as path option and enter the following command:
cd (the path we copy)
Next, we are going to add this command:
copy * .csv newfile.csv
We can also replace “newfile” with whatever filename we want, that doesn’t matter.
When we do this we will find the file in the same folder where we had the others with the name we assigned it. In this case it will be newfile.csv, we simply double click to open it. Then we will not make any kind of change, we go to File> Save as.
We choose the location where we want to save this file, in “Save as” we select Excel Book (* .xlsx) in the drop-down list and we click to save.
How to merge multiple files into one
In order to merge multiple CSV files into one, it is possible to use the command prompt on a Windows computer. For this, we paste all the files into a single CSV folder, open command prompt on the folder, and enter the command copy * .csv newfile.csv. Next, we open the created file and save it as an Excel workbook, making sure it has the extension .xlsx.