Nowadays, creating a voicemail account may seem archaic, but if you miss calls, it is essential. Whether it’s for work, fun, or an emergency, a voicemail gives you the opportunity to listen and respond, even when you miss a call.
If you have recently purchased a new Android phone, you will need to set up the voicemail service. If you want to know how to set up a voicemail on Android, follow these steps.
Note: Voicemail settings on Android vary by device and carrier. However, the major carriers, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, are often the same. This guide uses a OnePlus on AT&T, and the steps will vary slightly, but it will show you what to look for on your phone.
How to set up voicemail on Android
A voicemail application may appear on the home screen during the initial setup of your device, depending on the phone manufacturer. In that case, tap the button and follow the onscreen instructions to set it up. If you don’t have a voicemail app on your screen, you will have to set up your voicemail manually.
To configure voicemail on Android:
- Open the app Telephone on your phone.
- Upload the keyboard at the bottom of the screen.
- Hold down the one on the keypad to call your voicemail service. In other services you will have to dial * 86 – check with your service provider if you are not sure.
- If you have already set up your voicemail, you will be asked for your PIN.
- For a new account, enter the last four digits of your phone number. If you have forgotten your PIN, you can reset it by following the prompts from the voicemail service.
- If you have not set up your voicemail yet, you will receive a message saying, “Voicemail has not been set up” or something similar. Follow the voicemail prompts to set it up and hang up.
- Then press the voicemail app or hold 1, enter your PIN, and follow the voicemail prompts to listen to new messages.
Of course, your voicemail service will also offer you the ability to save or delete messages, listen to old ones, change your PIN, set a new greeting, and other functions. You will also receive notifications when a new voicemail arrives.
If this happens, touch the notification to open your voicemail and listen to the message.
How to use visual voicemail
Having voicemail set up is great, but you can get tired of dialing all the time to check. Most modern versions of Android pre-install the Visual Voicemail app. It allows you to view voice messages, the voicemail call number, the date it occurred, and the duration of the message. Provides an easier way to check your voicemail: you no longer have to call to receive your messages.
Note: If you don’t have Visual Voicemail on your phone, check if your operator has it. You can also search the Google Play Store for a third-party alternative.
You can use visual voicemail as follows:
- First of all, open the phone application and press the icon of the Visual voicemail on the bottom. You can also find the app on your home screen or search your phone for “visual voicemail”.
- Press the icon Reproduction of the message you want to hear. It also offers playback options such as pause / play, skip forward or backward using the slider, and tap the speaker icon to play a message through the speaker.
- To access the application settings, press the three points in the upper right corner and press Setting.
- You can change your greeting, change your password, configure different notifications and much more from the section of Setting.
How to set up voicemail on Android
If you need to set up voicemail on your Android phone, the process couldn’t be easier. With Visual Voicemail, listening to messages and managing them is also much easier.