If you send emails to the same group of people regularly in Outlook, you can save yourself time by creating a new one. contact group. A group of contacts (also known as email group, distribution list, or contact list) allows you to simultaneously add a group of addresses to your email. This saves you time, as you don’t have to add each person one by one.
It also reduces the risk of adding someone by mistake or using the wrong email address. Next, we’ll show you how to create a contact group in Microsoft Outlook both on the desktop and on the web.
How to create a contact group in Outlook on PC or Mac
If you use the Outlook desktop application on your PC or Mac, you can create a new group of contacts by following these steps:
- Open the app and click the icon Persons (Contacts).
- Go to the tab Beginning and click New group of contacts on the tape.
- put a Name to your group at the top.
- Click on Add members on the ribbon and choose From Outlook contacts or From the address book (according to your preference). You can also adjust this in the next menu, if necessary.
- To add one member at a time, select it from the list and click the button “Members” In the bottom left. You can also double click on its name.
- To add more than one member at a time, press and hold Ctrl while selecting each person, and then clicking Members. You can add both individuals and groups. To use a different contact list, click the drop-down menu in the upper right, below Phonebook.
- Once you’ve added everyone to your Outlook contact group, you’ll see their addresses to the right of the button Members. Click on To accept if you are done.
- Review the group’s name and members, and when you’re done, click Save and close in the upper left.
- The new group will appear in your list of Persons (or Contacts). If you click on the list, you will be able to see the current members. You can also send them an email directly by pressing Send an e-mail.
How to edit a group of contacts in Outlook on PC
If you want to add or remove members of an Outlook contact group, or change the name of the group, right-click the group in the contact list. Persons (Contacts) and select Edit contact.
Next, the initial contact group setup menu will appear. From here, you can change the Name group or use the buttons Add members o Remove members from the tape (as needed).
When you’re ready, click Save and close after making any adjustments to the group.
How to create a contact list in Outlook Online
You can also create and maintain contact lists for your Outlook account using the Outlook website. Contact groups work here exactly the same as in the Outlook desktop app, allowing you to email a regular group of contacts.
If you want to create a group of contacts in Outlook online, follow these steps:
- To get started, open the Outlook website and log in.
- Click on the people icon in navigation.
- Press the arrow next to New contact at the top left, and then tap New contact list.
- Enter a Contact list name.
- Enter a name or email address for each person you want to include. You can add both individuals and groups.
- Optionally, enter a description for the list to help you remember the purpose of the group.
- Click on Create.
Your contact list will appear in your contact list. It will also appear in the section All contact lists of the navigation of Persons, on the left.
As before, you can view the members of your contact group, or use the group to send an email by pressing Send an e-mail.
How to edit a contact list in Outlook Online
If you want to add or remove members of a contact group (or change the group name) in Outlook Online, right-click the group in the contact list. Persons (Contacts).
From the menu, select Edit. You can also choose your group and click Edit on the right.
You can change the name of the list, enter a name or email address to add more members, or click the X icon (located to the right of a member) to remove it.
When you’re ready, click Keep to finish making changes.
How to send email to your contact group in Outlook
Whether you use Outlook on your desktop or on the web, sending an email to the group you create is a breeze.
On the menu Write, start by typing the name of the contact group in the field For. You should see the group as a suggestion: select the group or list and it will appear in the field.
If you want to expand it to see all members’ email addresses, click on the plus sign on the left. Then you will see everyone in the group or list in the field For.
Save time and reduce errors with email groups in Outlook
You can create an Outlook contact list or group for your best friends, family, coworkers, or project team. All up to you. It will save you a lot of time entering names or email addresses one by one, ensuring that you send the correct addresses (and avoiding potential mishaps).