Modern Android phones are great for capturing videos. However, you may find yourself in a situation where the aspect ratio is not ideal. You may need to trim parts of the video before sharing.
To trim the video, you can always transfer it to your computer and use video editing software, but an easier method is to use your device. You can use the free Google Photos app to trim videos on Android.
If you want to know how to trim a video on Android using Google Photos, follow these steps.
Install or update Google Photos first
The Google Photos app is free and should be on your phone by now. If it is not, download it first from Google Play Store.
If you haven’t used it in a long time and your apps aren’t updating automatically, it’s worth checking for updates. To do this, open Google play store, play the your profile icon in the upper right corner and tap Manage apps and device.
If there are multiple apps that need an update and you don’t want to wait, search for the app Google Photos and tap the button Update. Remember to update the rest again later.
How to trim videos on Android
To trim videos on Android using the Google Photos app, do the following:
- Open the app Google Photos and tap the video you want to trim.
- The video will start to play; Press the button Edit at the bottom to start the application editor.
- Tap the option Trim. You will see a cropping box around the video.
- Press the button Ratio and choose the skin you want to use. Includes relationships Free, Original, Square, 5: 4, 16: 9, 4: 3 and 3: 2.
- If you use the option Free, You can manually adjust the crop sliders to resize the video to any aspect ratio. You can also rotate the video and pinch and zoom.
- Once you are satisfied with the trimming settings for your video, tap the button. Save copy on the bottom. This saves the video as a new “edited” version, but the original raw video remains intact.
Video editing on Android
If you need to trim a video on Android, follow the steps above to get the job done with Google Photos.
If you think Google Photos doesn’t include enough video editing features, you can always search the Play Store for other third-party apps. You just have to search video edition or even video trim to find the available options: there are a lot of free and paid options.