It has happened to all of us, even once, to be forced to correct the increase or decrease automatic of the volume from Windows 10. The reason why this happens is not really just one, it can be several. So we are going to propose different solutions which you will not necessarily have to apply in order.
Run the audio troubleshooter in Windows
Windows comes with a dedicated audio troubleshooter. Thanks to this we can solve almost any kind of problem related to audio in the operating system. Even fix the volume problem in Windows.
- For this, we press the “Windows + i” keys and we will have to go to “Update and security”.
- Next, we are going to go to the left sidebar and we will have to click on “Troubleshoot”.
- Now, on the right side, we will click on “Additional troubleshooters”.
- We will click where it says “Audio Playback”.
- An option will appear at the bottom that says “Run the troubleshooter”, clicking on this option will open the wizard that will guide us through the steps necessary to repair or correct the automatic increase or decrease in volume.
Disable automatic communication to fix the volume in Windows
By default, the operating system is configured to modify the volume when we receive calls or video calls. The problem is that such a function can also misinterpret that we are making a call when we are not. It is best to disable it in order to correct the volume problem in Windows.
- For this we are going to press Windows + R to open the Run window and write “mmsys.cpl” without the quotes, then press “Enter”.
- In the new window that opens, “Sounds” we will go to “Communications”.
- Here we will select “Do nothing” and we will have to click on Apply> OK to save the changes.
Disable effects and sound enhancement options
Realtek audio drivers have different features that allow you to enhance the audio. The problem is that sometimes it generates that the volume changes without us doing anything. It is best to disable them completely.
- The first thing we will do is right click on the speaker icon found on the taskbar (on the left side of the clock).
- Now we will have to choose “Sounds”.
- Here we will have to go to the tab that says “Playback”.
- We will right click on our speakers and choose “Properties”.
- Next, we will have to go to the “Improvements” tab and check the “Disable all improvements” box.
- To finish, we simply click on Apply> OK.
Update the audio device driver and fix volume problems in Windows 10
Obviously damaged or outdated drivers can cause various problems. This is one of those problems. To fix it, we will have to enter the device manager and update the driver.
- Press “Start” and type “Device Manager” then press “Enter.”
- Once in the Device Manager, we will have to go to the section “Sound, video and game controllers” and click on the arrow on the left side.
- A new menu is displayed, we will have to right click on the affected audio device and select “Update driver”.
- After this we choose the option “Automatically search for drivers” and Windows will be in charge of verifying if there are new drivers or not.
Hardware and application conflicts can affect Windows volume
There are many applications that can modify the sound of the system, Discord is one, for example. First, we close all the applications that we are running related or that use sound in one way or another.
You could even disable them from automatic startup and restart your computer to see if we can correct the volume problem in Windows.
- We right click on the taskbar (in an empty space) and we will have to choose “Task Manager”.
- If this is the first time we open it, click on “More details” in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Then we will have to go to the “Start” tab and the third-party applications that we install, we will have to right-click and put “Disable”. Then we restart the computer.
We will not disable any really important apps, like the Realtek driver, for example. Only third-party apps like Discord.
If we are certain that the problem is caused by the realtek driver installed on the computer. We have the option to switch to the Windows multi-device audio driver. When we switch to the gender driver, the system takes care of removing the enhancement features provided by Realtek.
- We are going to open the Device Manager and then expand “Sound, video and game controllers”.
- We right click on the Realtek audio device and choose “Update driver”.
- Now we will have to choose “Find a driver on my computer”.
- Then we are going to click on “Let me choose from a list of drivers available on my PC.”
- In the window, we will select “High definition audio device” and we will click on next “.
- We will click “Yes” to confirm the decision to install a generic driver. Once the installation is finished, we will have to restart the computer.
Restore the audio device driver
Device driver updates generally improve their performance and repair different incompatibilities. The only problem is that on many occasions they can bring various problems. If we recently updated the audio driver and started to experience problems, then this has to be what causes the automatic volume increase or decrease in Windows.
- We press “Start” and we are going to have to write “Device Manager”, then we press “Enter”.
- Next, we expand the section “Sound, video and game controllers”.
- Now we will right click on the device that has problems and select “Properties”.
- We will have to open the “Drivers” tab and click on “Revert driver”. Now we will follow the instructions on the screen.
Reinstall the audio device driver
Finally, something we can do is reinstall the audio device driver to solve any kind of problem we have.
- We press the Windows + X keys on our keyboard and we will have to go to “Device Manager”.
- Next, we will have to expand the section “Sounds, video and game controllers”.
- We will right click on “Realtek High Definition Audio” and we will select “Uninstall device” and confirm the decision.
Once uninstalled we are going to restart the computer. Do not worry because Windows automatically scans the system and will see that these drivers are missing, so it will proceed to install them without us having to do anything more than wait.