- Typically, error code 0x8004070c has to do with installation package failure, corrupted or damaged files, third-party interruptions, or denied or insufficient permissions.
- What are the steps to follow to solve this error and in what order should they be carried out?
There are many customers who, immediately opening a PC and starting to download their favorite programs, start by installing Chrome on Windows instead of using Edge. But, if you have problems installing the Google browser and you see this code, discover how to fix the Chrome error 0x8004070c.
Finding out what steps to follow is the easiest way to get Chrome running on Windows 10/11. Generally, to identify it, the error in question is accompanied by a message that says the following:
Egads! Installation failed. Error code: 0x8004070c.
The bad news is that you won’t be able to install Chrome until you get rid of the bug, but the good news is that there are different tricks that will allow you to solve it without much effort, which means that you waste less time. There are many who prefer to spend a few minutes with their favorite browser than adapt to another.
What Causes Error Code 0x8004070c When Installing Chrome?
As always, the first thing we should do in these cases is ask ourselves about the causes of the problem. Typically, the error code 0x8004070c it has to do with failures in the installation package of the app. Some users also comment that it may be related to problems with the PC Installation Service.
In addition to that, some inconveniences that this message is usually associated with are the following:
- Corrupt or damaged installation configuration files
- Interruptions due to third-party applications
- Denied or insufficient permissions
Fix Chrome error code 0x8004070c step by step
Remove residual files from Chrome
- Press Win + E keys for File Explorer
- Paste the following address into the address bar and hit Enter:
- %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
- Find the Default folder, and change its name to Default.old
- Restart your PC, and check if Chrome can be installed without problems
Run the setup file as Administrator
We were talking before about the lack of permissions that can hinder the installation of Google Chrome on your computer. Whenever you can, try to install Chrome through the Run as Administrator action, by right-clicking on the executable file you just downloaded and choosing this option among the others.
Temporarily disable third-party antivirus
Third-party antivirus installed on your device computer may be responsible for installation errors. Disable the antivirus software and check if the error is resolved. If so, re-enable it right away.
Using the program install and uninstall troubleshooter
Running the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter should work together with users. can take care of automatically repair some of the problems related to these processes.
- Download the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter from this link
- Click on the downloaded file and the Troubleshooter will open. Proceed to the installation
- A list of programs will appear, so select Chrome which is the one with the problem
- Click Next to launch the Program Installation and Uninstall Troubleshooter
Once it finishes, try to install Chrome to see if the issues were fixed.
Install Chrome on a clean boot
Third-party apps installed on your PC might be the reason why the error code 0x8004070c appears. Perform a clean boot of your PC to restrict all third-party applicationsthus:
- Click Start and open System Settings
- Go to the General tab and check the option Selective startup and Load system services
- Now go to the Services tab and check the option Hide all Microsoft services
- Click on Disable all in the lower right corner and then on Apply and OK
If the error is not seen on clean boot, you may need to manually enable one process after another. This way you will be able to detect which action or software is causing the conflict, and avoid it or work directly on it.
Other frequently asked questions
How do I fix the Google Chrome installation error?
To fix Chrome installation error, first disable your third-party antivirus and re-download the installation package. However, if that doesn’t work, run the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter and try installing in a clean boot state.
What does error code 0x80040c01 mean in other programs?
The 0x80040c01 error is usually generated during the installation of third-party software, such as Chrome in this case. Clarified this, if you suffer from Microsoft Edge run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and then Windows Update. In any other program, delete your temporary files and repeat the tutorial already indicated.
Have you been able to solve Chrome error 0x8004070c with these tricks that we have taught you?