Highlighting text in most Microsoft Office documents is quick and easy. If you’re using the latest version of Microsoft Office, it’s easy to do this in PowerPoint, too.
However, if your version of PowerPoint is older than PowerPoint 2019, then highlighting text is not that easy. Fortunately, there are some effective solutions.
if you want to learn how to highlight text in microsoft powerpoint, then follow the next steps.
How to highlight or highlight text in Microsoft PowerPoint 2019 or 365
If you’re using PowerPoint 2019 or have a Microsoft 365 subscription, then highlighting text is quick and easy.
There are two main ways to highlight text in PowerPoint.
How to Highlight Selected Text in PowerPoint
The first method is to select the text you want to highlight before applying the effect.
To highlight selected text in PowerPoint:
- Click and drag over the text you want to highlight.
- in the tab Startclick the down arrow next to the tool Text highlight color.
- Click on the highlight color you want.
- The text will appear highlighted.
How to Highlight Text in a PowerPoint Document
If you have multiple sections of text throughout your document that you want to highlight, you can use the Text Highlight Color tool like a pen.
To use the text highlight color tool in PowerPoint:
- Make sure no text is selected in your document.
- Click the down arrow next to the tool Text highlight coloror in the tab Start.
- Choose the color you want to use.
- Click and drag over a section of text you want to highlight.
- When released, the text will be highlighted.
- Repeat these steps for any other text you want to highlight.
How to Highlight Text in Older Versions of PowerPoint
If you’re using an earlier version of PowerPoint, the Text Highlight Color tool won’t be available. However, there are a number of ways that you can work around this.
All of these methods should work in any version of PowerPoint.
How to Highlight Text in PowerPoint Using Word
Regardless of the version of Word you are using, you will be able to highlight text. You can then copy and paste this text into PowerPoint with the highlight effect applied.
To highlight text in PowerPoint using Word:
- Open a new Word document.
- Type the word you want to highlight.
- Click and drag on the word to select it.
- in the tab Start, click the arrow to the right of the tool icon Text highlight color.
- Select the color you want to highlight with.
- Your text will appear highlighted.
- Click and drag over the text again and press Ctrl+C on Windows or Cmd+C on Mac to copy the text.
- Go back to your PowerPoint document and place your cursor where you want the text to appear.
- Press Ctrl+V either Cmd+V to paste the text in place.
- If the highlight is not displayed, click the icon paste options.
- Click the icon Keep source format.
- The text should appear highlighted.
How to Highlight Text in PowerPoint Using Shapes
Another way to highlight text is to use the tool Shapes. This allows you to create a colored rectangle behind your text.
To highlight text with the shapes tool:
- First, click on the tab Insert.
- Click on Shapes and choose the first option in Rectangles.
- Click and drag to draw a rectangle to cover the word.
- The word will disappear behind the rectangle, but we’ll fix that shortly.
- now click on shape format. If you can’t see this menu, click on the shape to bring it up.
- Click on shape fill and select the color you want.
- Click on Shape Outline and select No Outline.
- Finally, click on send back to put the rectangle behind your text.
- Your text should now appear in front of the rectangle.
How to Highlight Text in PowerPoint Using the Glow Effect
You can also apply a glow effect to a word in PowerPoint. This will produce an effect similar to highlighting it.
To add a glow effect in PowerPoint:
- Select the text you want to highlight.
- Click on shape format.
- Click the icon text effects.
- now click on Radiance and select one of the Glow Variations. Click on More glow colors to choose a different color.
- The text will appear highlighted, following the shape of the letters.
Effective Text Formatting in PowerPoint
Knowing how to highlight text in PowerPoint is especially helpful if you’re using an older version of the app.
Even though some versions lack a highlighting tool, there are still plenty of things you can do even in less updated versions of PowerPoint. Can you use and configure animations in PowerPoint to give it more visual appeal.
And of course, who can resist using slide transitions in powerpoint?