A few weeks ago we talked about the importance of and how to edit the Hosts file in MacOS, and that has led a huge number of PC users to also want to know how to carry out this basic procedure in Microsoft operating systems. Well, keep reading because in this article we show you how modify Hosts file in Windows 10 and what are the main situations in which you should do it.
Of course, first of all you have to be fully aware about what the Windows FileHost or Hosts is, and the easiest way to describe it is as an absolutely important configuration file for the computer, which is served by host and domain names. , which are assigned to the corresponding IP addresses, enabling, or not, access to those web pages. Therefore, they are essential in terms of security.
How to access Windows Hosts?
With any of the two simple methods that we are going to teach you next, you will then have the possibility of accessing the Hosts in just a few seconds, preparing you to be able to modify it later.
By manual way
- Go to This Pc
- There to the Unit where you have the operating system
- Select Windows, system32, Drivers, etc, Hosts
Through the Run command
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R
- Write the path WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts
- Click Accept
How to edit the Windows Hosts?
When it comes to effectively modifying the Hosts file in Windows 10, you will see that there are different options available, all of which are just as useful, so you just have to find the one that best fits what you are looking for.
- Copy the Hosts file to another drive
- Open the copied file in Notepad
- Edit the file as you like and select Save
- Overwrite the original Hosts file with the edited file
With Administrator rights
- Open Notepad with Administrator rights
- In File, click Open and go to C: WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts
- Open the file, make the necessary modifications, and save all changes
With third-party tools
- Download and install the Host File Editor software from this link
- Once installed, open the program and enter the site address
- The site or sites you have added will be blocked, unless you remove them later