This post shows students and new users the steps to reset the autoplay settings in Windows 11 to the default values. Autoplay settings in Windows allow users to choose different actions when devices are inserted or connected to a Windows computer.
By default, Windows 11 will display a pop-up window and ask you to select what actions to take when inserting media or connecting a new device. This works if nothing has changed.
However, if you have chosen certain actions for a particular medium and want to change them or choose a different action, you can configure that particular setting or reset full autoplay, and the steps below will tell you how to do that.
To configure individual autoplay settings in Windows 11, please read the post below:
How to configure autoplay settings in Windows 11
AutoPlay, based on your current settings, does one of the following:
- Play content automatically.
- Displays a dialog box that prompts the user to choose a default handler for a single content type.
- Presents, in the case of mixed content, a list of available controller applications to launch. The chosen controller automatically plays its associated content type.
- Displays a standard folder view of the files.
- It does nothing if, before, the user had chosen Take no action for that content type as well as the specified Always do the selected action.
How to reset autoplay settings in Windows 11
As mentioned above, Windows AutoPlay settings allow users to choose certain actions when a media or device is inserted into a Windows computer.
People can also choose different actions for different media and what to do when Windows detects the media or device after inserting it. Whichever setting you choose, Windows will use it by default and continue autoplay its associated content type.
If you have made a lot of changes to your autoplay settings and want to reset everything to default, please follow the steps below.
First, open the Control Panel application. In the Control Panel application, select Hardware and sound group and go to Self-reproduction.
In the AutoPlay settings panel, click the Reset all defaults at the bottom of the page.
Click the Save button and close.
You should do that!
In this tutorial we have seen how to reset the autoplay settings in Windows 11. If you find any errors above or have something to add, use the comment form below.