Like any antivirus scan, we can run it with the antivirus application on our device. Something that we must consider is that each application has a different interface and the instructions may not be precise in all cases. However, it serves as an example to understand how to run an antivirus scan correctly.
Run an antivirus scan
The first thing we will have to do before starting to scan for viruses or malware is to verify that we have all the security updates.
Now yes, we can perform a complete scan, it is not recommended to do a quick scan, it is best to make it complete. We will read the results and we will have to follow the instructions of the software. Something highly recommended would be to program automatic scans to avoid having to do this manually.
How to scan for malware from Windows Defender
- We will click on start.
- Click on the Settings button (it’s the gear-shaped icon).
- Next, we choose Update and security.
- Let’s go to Windows Security.
- Here we click on Protection against viruses and threats.
- Under Current Threats, we choose Quick Scan/Threat History.
- To get started, click Scan Now.
Basically, we will have to follow all the steps that we discussed in the previous section. The only difference would be in the last step, where we will have to click on “Run a new advanced analysis”.
Schedule an antivirus scan
- Click Start.
- We write “Schedule tasks”.
- We click on Task Scheduler.
- Next, we click the arrow next to Task Scheduler Library on the left.
- Click on Microsoft.
- We choose Windows.
- Now we go to the Windows Defender folder.
- We select the Windows Defender scheduled scans.
- We go to Properties and then Triggers.
- We will click on New and configure the time of the scans.
- To finish, we click on “OK”.
Run an antivirus scan on Mac
Macs also have built-in antivirus software that, while not the best of all, is very good for already being perfectly integrated into the operating system.
- We start by clicking on System Preferences.
- Here we choose Security and privacy.
- We are looking for Generals.
- We unlock the preferences panel.
- We will allow it to be installed only from the App Store and identified developers.
Apple’s operating system for mobile devices does not require an antivirus. On the contrary, on Android it is advisable to install an antivirus if we download too many files or APKs, even when we download from the Play Store.