Since Facebook has acquired Instagram, connecting the accounts of both platforms gives the user much more convenience to share their photos and videos simultaneously. However, if you want to keep your social profiles separate or limit activity on each of them, you need unlink either disconnect your accounts Facebook and Instagram.
Doing so is quite simple and you just need to visit the Account Center and delete the desired account from there. However, keep in mind that this will prevent you from being able to continue managing your connected experiences from one place. That is, you will no longer be able to share posts and stories on Instagram and Facebook at the same time, share reels, or perform some other cross-platform tasks.
Whether from Facebook or Instagram, we can unlink or disconnect the account from the Account Center, it is a place that provides centralized access to a user’s social profiles through a unified login. It also allows you to unlink Facebook and Instagram if you have these two social profiles connected.
As we told you at the beginning, you can unlink your Facebook and Instagram account from either platform. Either from the mobile app or from the website on your Windows PC.
Disconnect Facebook and Instagram from the Facebook app
On both Android and iOS devices, perform the following steps:
- From the Facebook application press the menu icon represented by three lines, located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Then press the gear icon to enter the account settings.
- Scroll through the menu until you find the section “Settings and privacy > Account center”.
- Next, tap on “Accounts > Account Settings”.
- Finally, click on the “Delete” button next to the account you want to delete and confirm the action by clicking on “Delete > Continue”.
Disconnect both from the Instagram app
Just like from the Facebook app, these steps will work on iOS and Android devices.
- From the Instagram application, tap on your profile picture, located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Once inside your profile, click on the three lines icon to open the menu.
- Then press the “Settings” gear icon to enter the account settings.
- Next, scroll through the menu until you find the “Account Center > Accounts > Account Settings” section.
- You will then see a “Remove” button next to each of your linked accounts. When you find the Facebook one, press the button to unlink it.
- Finally, confirm the action by clicking on “Delete > Continue”.
Disconnect from Facebook on Windows PC
- Start by going to the Facebook website and log in.
- Then click on the Profile icon located in the upper right corner of the screen. When you do, a menu will appear. From there, click on the “Settings” option.
- Once inside the settings, scroll down the left panel of the screen until you reach “Account Center”.
- In the following interface, you will see a list of linked accounts in your Account Center. There, find the Instagram account you want to unlink and click “Delete”.
- Finally, confirm the action by clicking once more on “Delete > Continue”.
Disconnect Facebook and Instagram from Instagram on Windows PC
- The first thing you need to do is enter the Instagram website and log in.
- Then click on your Profile picture located at the top right of your screen.
- On the next interface, click “Settings & Privacy” and navigate the following menu until you find “Settings” option.
- Now, look in the left panel of the screen for the option “Account Center” where you will be able to see all the accounts that you have linked.
- Next, find the Facebook account you want to unlink and click the “Delete” button next to it.
- Finally, confirm the action by clicking “Continue” and you’re done.
Remember that by unlinking your Facebook and Instagram accounts, you will have confused both social profiles, so they will no longer be associated. After doing so, you will not be able to share content on both platforms simultaneously or directly from one application to the other. Also, Instagram will not notify your Facebook friends that you are on Instagram and vice versa. This is a point against if you are looking to gain more followers.