One of the new features of macOS Monterey is the ability to add an animated Memoji to your Mac’s lock screen. This means that you can display an animated Memoji as your account icon when you log in.
It is the continuation of the introduction of Memoji in macOS Big Sur a year earlier. Animated characters were first released on the iPhone and iPad a few years ago. If you want to use the Memoji on your lock screen, this is what you will have to do.
How to use Memoji as a login image on Mac
Although originally only used in the Messages app, Memoji can now be used on your Mac’s lock screen in macOS Monterey. To use a Memoji as your account icon, you will need to create one first.
To create and use Memoji as your Mac’s login image:
- Open the System preferences on your Mac.
- Please select Users and Groups.
- Choose the lock icon In the bottom left.
- If prompted, log in with your Mac password in order to make the changes.
- Select the Username on the left, above the padlock icon.
- Click on the current icon of the user on the right, selecting Edit.
- Select the tab Memoji On the right side.
- Press the add icon to create a new Memoji.
- Customize the characteristics of your Memoji on the left side. You can personalize it by altering a series of facial features, either by changing the color of the skin or by customizing the glasses.
- Click on Done when you’re done.
- Choose the “Pose” tab and then choose the stylized pose you want to use for your Memoji.
- Then select the Style tab and choose a style.
- Please select Keep.
It is done. You will now see an animated Memoji on your Mac’s lock screen, as you can see below.
How to use Memoji Stickers in Mac Messages
Once you’ve created your custom Memoji, you can use it anywhere on your Mac. For example, you may decide to use Memoji sticker packs in your messages.
Sticker packs are custom emojis that you can send in the Messages app and elsewhere. Apple tends to update the sticker packages available with each new version of macOS.
To use the Memoji sticker packs in the Messages app on Mac:
- Opens Posts on your Mac and create a message.
- Click on the icon to the left of the iMessage box at the bottom.
- Then select Memoji Stickers.
- Please select a sticker to use.
- Click on Send to send it.
How to keep track of your Memoji
If you use two-factor authentication, your Memoji will sync across all of your compatible devices. However, you will need to log into the devices with the same Apple ID, and your device’s iCloud Drive functionality will need to be enabled.
You can edit, duplicate and delete your Memoji at any time by following these steps:
- Opens Posts
- Choose the compose button to start a new message. For more functionality, you can also use an existing conversation.
- Play the Memoji button or the button Memoji Stickers.
- Select the Memoji What do you want to change?
- Then press the More button and choose Edit, Duplicate o Delete.
- Please select Done.
Much to see in macOS Monterey
Every New Year brings a new macOS update and exciting new features.
Using your Memoji on Mac is just the beginning – you can also start use Shortcuts on Mac to streamline your daily tasks. You may also consider using Apple Focus (Concentration), a new way to organize your notifications and communications throughout the day.