- Windows Server error 0xc00002e2 is an error associated with the Blue Screen of Death or BSOD
- How to use directory services restore mode to fix this problem?
Windows tends to cause problems from time to time, but the advantage is that many of them are easily identifiable thanks to the codes that accompany them. In this case, it is not a very common failure, but even so, it always you should know what is the solution to this annoying Windows Server error 0xc00002e2 on your PC.
Basically, we are going to offer you some exits to it; understanding that it is specific to operating systems with Windows Server and that there are multiple circumstances in which you can be affected by this message. Fortunately, several of those who have been through this situation have taken it upon themselves to help solve it.
What causes the 0xc00002e2 error?
This BSOD error, so named because is associated with the Blue Screen of Death o Blue Screen of Death, appears when the Active Directory Domain Services role of the domain controller is removed. This usually happens if we use tools like Dism.exe, Pkgmgr.exe or Ocsetup.exe to get rid of it.
However, there are other things that we cannot completely rule out as the cause of the problem either:
- Active Directory database corruption
- Domain controller failure
- wrong permissions
- Misconfigured security settings
How can you fix it step by step?
Assuming you haven’t found an answer yet, there are a number of steps to recover Windows Server.
On Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008
- Hold down Shift + F8 to restart the server
- Click on Directory Services Repair Mode or DSRM and log in
- Validate the removal in the command “dism.exe /inline /get-features”
- Now add the DirectoryServices-DomainController role again in “dism.exe/online/enable-feature/featurename:DirectoryServices-DomainController”
- Reboot the server and select Directory Services Restore Mode
- You have to apply a force remove parameter to remove the Active Directory Domain Services from the domain controller, such as “dcpromo.exe /forceremoval”
- Once done, use the ntdsutil.exe or dsa.msc tool to remove the driver metadata
On Windows Server 2012 and later versions
- Restart your computer, and select Directory Services Repair Mode. Sign in with your credentials
- Validate the removed role by running the following command: “dism.exe /online /get-features”
- Run this command to add the DirectoryServices-DomainController role to the server: “dism.exe /online/enable-feature /featurename:DirectoryServices-DomainController”
- Restart Directory Services Restore and sign in again
- Once this is done, apply a -ForceRemoval parameter to remove Domain Services from Active Directory. You should always do it from Server Manager or Windows PowerShell with this command: “Uninstall-AddsDomaincontroller -ForceRemoval”
- Finally, remove the domain controller metadata using the ntdsutil.exe or dsa.msc tool
Other frequently asked questions
What is error code 0xc00002e2 in Windows Server?
BSOD error 0xc00002e2 in Windows Server indicates a problem with accessing, reading, or trusting the Active Directory contents within the machine. You can prevent users from accessing the server and network resources. To fix this, you should check the health of the Active Directory infrastructure.
How to use directory services restore mode?
Reboot the domain controller and press F8 once the BIOS information appears. Here, select Directory Services Restore Mode and press Enter. Log in with your credentials into Directory Services Restore mode. Once done, open cmd and click OK.
Have you been able to solve the 0xc00002e2 Windows Server error with this step-by-step that we discussed?