- In most cases, users don’t bother to remap the keys.
- However, it may make sense to change the function of the Fn key on your Windows PC.
- What are the steps to follow to modify its function or, directly, block it?
In most cases, users don’t bother to reassign keys or shortcuts. We could say that almost all of us are comfortable with the distribution they have when we receive the machine. Considering that, On certain occasions however it may make sense to change the function of the Fn key in Windows. In this article we ask ourselves why do it and what are the steps to follow to do it.
If you are not used to reaching into Windows Configuration, the first thing you need to know is that thanks to these keys we can control some of the specific functions of the equipment without resorting to extensive combinations that we will probably forget. By default, they are executed only when we hold down the Fn key simultaneously. Nevertheless, that can be fully customized.
At this point, many of the main elements of Windows 10 and Windows 11 support certain modifications. There are different ways to alter the original configuration of the Fn key and its function and now we are going to know about them.
So you can change the function of the Fn key
From the Windows Mobility Center
The easiest way to change the Fn key settings is from the Windows Mobility Center. Unfortunately this only makes sense at the moment on Dell devices that add this option.
- On your Dell device, type Windows Mobility Center in search and click Open
- In the next window, find the Fn key row section and expand the dropdown list
- If you want to select the F keys for basic functions, tap on Function key
- If you want to select the F keys to perform functions that require the Fn key, tap on Multimedia
You may want to know what can be done for devices that are not made by Dell. You can look for information on the official website of the manufacturer, whatever it is, or go to the next trick.
From system BIOS
Precisely, this second trick consists of making changes directly in the BIOS of the Windows system. Remember that the procedure that we are going to teach you is for HP and Acer, although it could be useful for others.
- Shut down your PC and restart the computer by repeatedly pressing the F10 key to access the BIOS
- Once in it, go to the System Settings menu, Action Keys Mode
- Use the enter key to enable or disable features
- Click Exit to save the changes
- Hold down the F2 key and the power button at the same time
- On the BIOS screen, go to System Settings and press Enter Action Keys Mode
- Select the mode you want and click Exit
And how to lock the Fn key?
If you don’t want to have to press the Fn key every time you go to activate any of the keyboard functions, you can just activate the Fn lock. That’s enough to use any function key without being aware of pressing the Fn key first. In general, It is what we would recommend to any user..
In a high percentage of keyboards have the Fn lock associated with the Esc key, but on your computer it may be different. You should take a look at the manufacturer’s website. to find out how this works on your device.
You can do a lock test by pressing and holding the Fn Key and pressing the lock key. That should activate the feature. Following the same steps with the key activated, you will be able to deactivate the function.
Function keys are essential for increasing productivity and efficiency, and if you use the right techniques, you can get the most out of them. Following the steps above will allow you to quickly modify key settings whenever you want or need to. If that no longer works for you, you can undo the changes.
Have you been able to change the function of the Fn key with this step by step that we just saw?