Voice chat is an integral part of online gaming as it allows players to communicate more easily than via text chat. In 2021, Roblox finally added its voice chat feature, but it’s not on by default.
In this article, we will explain how to activate voice chat in roblox and how this function works.
What is Roblox voice chat?
Voice Chat is a spatial voice feature that allows players to communicate as they would in the real world. Players who are close together in a Roblox game will be able to hear each other’s voice, and the volume will decrease as they move further away from each other.
If a player has enabled voice chat, you’ll see a microphone icon next to their username and above their avatar. If you haven’t enabled voice chat, you won’t be able to see or hear users who have.
However, not all Roblox experiences offer voice chat features, and the decision to include them is left to the game developers. To find out if an experience has enabled voice chat, you’ll need to upload and test it.
Also, Roblox has only enabled voice chat for mobile and PC users. You can use it whether you are a Roblox Premium user or not. Unfortunately, if you’re an Xbox user, you’ll have to wait for the feature to be added.
To use Roblox in-game voice chat, you must have a Roblox account that is 13 years of age or older and whose age has been verified. To do this, you will need a valid identity document (such as a passport or driving license) and a smartphone that can scan QR codes. Roblox will ask you to submit a photo of your ID and a selfie to prove your resemblance.
To verify your age:
- Open the website of Roblox.
- Select the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen to open your account settings.
- select Account info in the banner on the right.
- select verify my age.
- Prepare your ID and scan the QR code that appears.
- Take a photo of your ID or select upload a file to upload one you’ve already made. Then take a selfie and send it. Roblox will not allow you to upload a selfie from your gallery to make sure you are a real person.
- After some time, you will receive an in-game notification if your account age has been successfully verified.
How to activate voice chat in Roblox
Once you’ve completed the age verification process, you can enable voice chat in Roblox’s privacy settings:
In a web browser or desktop app:
- Select the three points from the left sidebar.
- Choose Settings.
- Select the tab Privacy.
- Disable Account restrictions are disabled.
- In the drop down menu Communication, select Predetermined.
- In Beta Featuresactivate the option Activate voice chat.
- A pop-up window will appear asking you to consent to Roblox collecting your voice recordings for analytics purposes. Choose Activate to continue.
On a mobile device:
- Open the Roblox app.
- Tap the three dots in the lower right corner.
- Scroll to and tap the gear icon.
- Press Privacy.
- Under Beta Features select the Enable Voice Chat option.
- You will be asked to consent to Roblox collecting your voice recordings. If you agree, tap Activate.
How to mute, block and report abuse
To ensure that all Roblox games remain safe and fun, the Roblox team has provided users with the ability to mute, block, or report players for abusive voice chat.
To mute a player:
- Click the microphone icon that appears above the player’s head. This will mute all voice chat (although it won’t mute text chat) while you’re in the experience session.
To block a player:
- Visit the user’s profile page.
- Select the three dots in the upper right corner of the box containing your username and select Block user.
To report a player:
- Select the Menu button located in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select the flag icon next to the user’s name.
- Select the Abuse Type dropdown menu and choose the most appropriate option. Type any additional details and click Submit.
Where to use voice chat?
Since not all Roblox experiences include voice chat, where can you try it? One place to start is the Mic Up game, one of the most popular Roblox experiences and a favorite of gamers who like to use their microphones on Roblox.