Rename AirDrop on iPhone and iPad is very important to be able to share files fast effectively. And we say effectively because first we must connect the devices and to make this easier, nothing better than having a distinctive name and avoiding confusion.
Change AirDrop name on iPhone
To make the search process easier and more straightforward, it is important that we change the generic AirDrop name to one that is distinctive and ensures that it is the device we are looking for.
We must warn that changing the name of our iPhone from Settings > General > About will not change the name of AirDrop because it does not work with our contacts. What we need to change is the contact card.
- We open the Phone application on iPhone and click on Contacts.
- Here we will have to select the My card icon with the name of our iPhone at the top.
- On the next screen, we hit Edit in the top right corner.
- Now we go to the text box and we will write the name that we want our AirPods to have.
- Another thing we can do is add a photo to appear as the AirDrop profile photo.
- To finish, we press Done.
The chosen name will appear when other devices try to send us files using AirDrop. Although the name may not be seen immediately. In case this happens we will have to go to Settings> General> Reset and finally Reset network settings. In this way, iPhone will update the sender’s AirDrop list.
on an iPad
In the case of an iPad, the way to change the name varies a bit. However, it is quite easy to achieve, one could say that it is even easier than on the iPhone.
- The first thing will be to go to the Configuration.
- Then we go to General > About.
- In the left panel, just below the About menu, we are going to press Name.
- We will write the name that we want to display in the AirDrop profile.
- To finish, click on Done.
In the case of iPad, it is faster to update the AirDrop profile name. That’s all we need to do to be able to modify the display name.