Surely at some point you have heard of concepts such as dots per inch (DPI) or pixels per inch (PPI), which are two widely used notions when determining the resolution of an image. In reality, the problem comes when we are not satisfied with those measures. So today we show you how check and modify the DPI or dots per inch of an image, extremely useful when working with it.
Well, the first thing we have to clarify then is that, beyond the recent official presentation and the possibility of downloading the Windows 11 beta, these procedures are just as valid in any version of Windows.
Returning to pixels per inch, we can say that this indicator shows the number of points in line in the space of an inch. The more points, the heavier and higher quality the image will be.
How to see the DPI of an image?
To know the DPI of an image, you have to right click on it, go to its Properties and then to Details. You will see this data in the Image section, such as Horizontal resolution and Vertical resolution.
How to set a specific number of dots per inch?
If for some reason or reason you want your images to have a specific number of dots per inch, you can take advantage of some of the previous softwares and pages, modifying the original figure to 300 DPI, which should get the new number assigned to the dots per inch to be 300, with what this means.
Change the DPI of an image step by step
Now that you know how to see the DPI of an image, we are going to show you several of the programs and portals that have been specially developed to allow you to modify the dots per inch of your images.
With DPI Converter
One of the easiest ways to change the DPI of images is via a dedicated web service, as is the case with DPI Converter. Its very name anticipates us a bit what is the object of its existence.
- Open DPI Converter from this link
- Upload the image in question that you are going to edit
- Click on the DPI value you want for the image
- The image will be processed for seconds, and you can download it
This seems to us to be the best page available, especially if you are going to work with individual images, taking into account that it accepts most formats, and that it solves orders relatively quickly.
GIMP is a famous vector graphics and image editing software for Windows and other platforms. Previously, we have taught you how to change the size of an image without losing quality with this app.
- Download GIMP on your PC from this link
- Run it and upload the image in question that you are going to edit
- Go to Image and click on the Print Size option
- Enter the new DPI you want to apply to the edited image
- When you are satisfied, save the image
This is a good tool to avoid being dependent on your Internet connection all the time.
In batches, with XnConvert
Finally, if your main concern is to be able to modify the DPI of many images simultaneously, and the power working in batches for you is the most important thing, so you should start with XnConvert.
- Download XnConvert on your PC from this link
- Run it and upload the images in question that you are going to edit
- Go to the Actions tab, and look for the Set DPI action
- Enter the DPI you prefer for all those images
- Configure the other output options
- Hit the Convert button
Yes indeed, XnConvert is a payment alternative, not too cheap but not too expensive If you intend to invest in a product that makes your work easier, and you can recover that investment with your income.