If you and your coworkers use Microsoft Teams, you already know that it has some great features. You can schedule meetings, create video call recordings, and much more.
Another great advantage of using Microsoft Teams is the ability to create tabs in the application. Tabs can provide quick and easy access to things like applications and files. Then, with one click, any member of the team can use these types of elements. Below is explained how to set up custom tabs in Teams.
About tabs in Microsoft Teams
The tabs are the dots at the top of the main window, whether you use the desktop or online application. And Teams starts with a few tabs like Messages, Files, and Wiki.
You can use apps or files as tabs in Teams. Apps can include services like Trello and Box, but they also cover whiteboard and document management. The files are what you upload, be they images or documents, and you can easily convert them into tabs.
How to Create an Application Tab in Microsoft Teams
You can add a tab in the desktop or online version of Microsoft Teams. Start by going to the channel or chat where you want the tab, and then do the following.
- Click on the plus sign to the right of the tab bar.
- Select or search for the application you want to add.
- If the application has not yet been installed, click Add and follow the prompts below to complete the process. If the application has already been installed, you can take an additional step. For example, if you have installed Trello, you can select the board for that tab.
Once you have the application tab, click to access it. If you want to change the name of the tab or remove it, click the arrow on the tab and choose your action.
How to Create a File Tab in Microsoft Teams
Using a file as a tab is useful for things like guidelines, instructions, or references. For example, you can use the company policy document as a tab so that team members can quickly access it.
- Go to the channel where you want the file as a tab and click the tab Records existing.
- Click on Show Actions (three dots) for the file.
- Please select Turn this into a tab.
Your file will appear in its own tab at the top with the filename as the tab. The file will also remain on the Files tab.
As with app tabs, you can click the arrow on the tab to rename or delete the tab.
Take advantage of Tabs in Teams
Tabs in Microsoft Teams are useful tools that can provide easy access to applications and files for your entire team. It only takes a few minutes to create a custom tab in Teams, so will you take advantage of the feature?
If you want to know more, consult how to download and share your recordings or how to set up an out of office message in Teams.