- Prime.exe can be a genuine Windows file… or a virus that threatens your system
- No need to worry if you see this message, just take care to find out more about it
- What are the possible explanations for this problem and how do we solve it?
In recent times, questions about it from users in forums and social networks have multiplied. All of them have encountered the Prime.exe error and do not know if it is a common file or a virus, having reasonable doubts because there is cross information. But Since it usually affects IBM ThinkPad models above all, if you have one you should know how to fix the Prime.exe error in a few steps.
As we said, it is not an exclusive problem of these teams but one that affects them especially. Those who find it from one moment to the next on their devices They explain what it looks like as follows:
prime.exe – Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFA28483466 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000024. The memory could not be written.
Click on OK to terminate the program.
Also, there are others who cite the next messages accompanying the ruling in question:
- Application Error: PRIME.EXE
- Win32 Software Error: PRIME.EXE
- PRIME.EXE not working
- PRIME.EXE: App Path is Faulting
What is Prime.exe? It is safe?
First things first, and thus we have to say that Prime.exe is an executable file created by IBM for models marketed under the IBM ThinkPad, resulting in a CD recovery tool for such environments. The thing is that there cryptomining malware and adware that are also called cryptomining.
Because, if you have an IBM system, first of all you have to make sure that it is in the correct location, which should be C:Program FilesIBM Inc.Product Recovery CD-ROM. If not, you could be facing a virus.
Of course, on suspicion that it is a malicious file, regardless of the manufacturer of your device, there are some actions that we can take, starting by scanning the computer with Microsoft Defender or any other antivirus you have installedwhich helps to detect harmful elements in the system.
Needless to say, if your system is not from IBM, the chances of it being a virus are higher. Assuming so, there are several methods to try to get rid of the file once and for all.
Solutions for Prime.exe error
Check the system for viruses or malware
as we told you, Microsoft Defender makes it so that you do not need another antivirus and an analysis of this one should be enough to find malicious filesbut if you are paying for a third-party program, run it as well.
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings
- Click on Privacy and security on the left side of the screen
- Go to Windows Security, select Protection against viruses and threats and Scan options
- Run a Microsoft Defender Offline Scan
Run memory diagnostics
We taught you how to check your RAM for problems a while ago, and that will do the trick this time. This memory may eventually fail, so use that Windows instrument to know its status.
Change virtual memory size
Windows is capable of assigning virtual memory to each process it runs, so that no one suffers while other more demanding ones are active. If you don’t have a lot of RAM left over, this management is essential.
- Search for Performance from the Start menu and open Adjust Windows appearance and performance
- Enter the Advanced section and Change
- Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all controllers
- Check Custom size and allocate an amount of virtual memory to each of the processes
- Reboot the system to check that this procedure has fixed the Prime.exe problem
CHKDSK is, as the name suggests, a trick that makes it easy to check the status of your hard drive. Similar to RAM memory failures, a hard drive that is not responding as it should can cause this error.
You can use the CHKDSK command from Command Prompt to accomplish this task.
Restore the system
The last possibility to solve the Prime.exe error is to take advantage of the System Restore function. Remember that it is essential to have recent restore points to avoid losing many elements.
If you do have a recent restore point, restoring your system is not difficult at all.
- Look for Create a restore point from the Start menu and make sure you have it
- Once ready, click on System Restore and select the restore point
- Follow the steps indicated on the screen until you restore the system
And that’s it, in just a while you will have got rid of the error thanks to the restoration of the operating system.
Have you been able to fix the Prime.exe error on your PC with these tricks?