- Kodi is one of the most famous media centers out there, with a very generous community of developers and users who keep an eye on its operation and constantly improving it
- Its contents are accessible from different devices, and many people wonder what the procedure is like to install it on Chromecast to send the titles to the TV
- There are two possible procedures to do it, and any of them will be useful to you in such a case
Kodi is a multimedia center that allows us to access live television, as well as other productions that would otherwise remain out of our reach unless we pay for them. Many of these are not even included in the main on-demand platforms. Therefore, in this article we show you step by step how to install Kodi on Chromecast, which will allow you to cast those contents from the Google dongle.
Indeed, thanks to this procedure you have the possibility of enjoying works that go beyond traditional applications such as Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video and others, and you just need a Chromecast for it.
Making the clarification, in addition, that transmitting some of this content could become illegal in your country, since this depends on the legislation of each territory, let’s see then what are the options we have to take advantage of this open source software designed specifically for home entertainment.
A little history about Kodi
Originally created for Microsoft Xbox and called Xbox Media Center (XBMC), this software evolved over the years to the point that has created its own user communitythe same that explains its great popularity.
Unlike services like Chromecast or Plex, Kodi is run by the non-profit XBMC Foundation. But it is constantly being modified and updated by hundreds of coders around the world.
Since its release in 2003, Kodi has been shaped by more than 500 software developers.
How to install Kodi on a Chromecast using an Android device
The interesting thing about the case is that you can install Kodi on a Chromecast with an Android device, regardless of whether it is a tablet or a mobile. There is even two different procedures, equally efficientto do it.
Simple installation of Kodi on Chromecast
In the first of the procedures, you will have to have installed Kodi on Android. In this link you will see how.
- Open Google Home on your Android and, in the Chromecast menu, select the Cast screen option (eventually many Android manufacturers put this option in the main menu of the device)
- Once you are casting the screen, follow the instructions to connect to Kodi
- Open the application on Android, select a content, and start playing it
The limitation of this procedureas you can see, is that the same should be reproduced on both screens.
Complex installation of Kodi on Chromecast
The second procedure is much more extensive, but it will free the screen of your tablet or mobile when playing. You will have to arm yourself with patience and have some basic knowledge, yes.
- On Android, download ES File Explorer, Kodi, LocalCast and the XML file PlayerFactoryCore
- Open ES File Explorer, Display Settings and make sure you see hidden files
- Check that your Kodi media center or XBMC is connected to the Kodi app
- Go back to ES File Explorer and open the Downloads folder, to find the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file
- Copy that PlayerFactoryCore.xml file go to Android, Data, and search for org.xbmc.kodi or org.xbmc.xbmc
- Once open depending on your streamer, go to Files, .kodi or .xbmc, User Data and paste the copied file
- Next, open Kodi and navigate to the file you want to watch
- Kodi will automatically start LocalCast, although Android will ask you which streaming app to use
- Once you have chosen one, and it has been loaded, you can play from wherever you want
- Finally, you must click on Play once more, and thus the transmission will begin
As you can see, it is about a procedure not suitable for the anxious or for beginners in these tutorials.
Have you been able to install Kodi on Chromecast and stream to your TV with these tricks?