Do you want to give a little pizzazz to your documents and presentations? Consider using a different font.
Windows 11 comes with a lot of them, but you may want more; There is only a set number of times you can see Times New Roman. You can find and install new fonts online, and Windows makes it easy for you by letting you install and manage new fonts in the Settings app.
If you’ve never done this before, check out how to install or uninstall fonts in windows 11.
What types of fonts are supported by Windows 11?
To install a new font, it must be compatible with Windows. Windows 11 supports the following font types:
- TrueType (.TFF)
- PostScript Type 1 (.PFB + .PFM)
- OpenType (.OTF)
- TrueType Collection (.TTC)
Once you’ve downloaded your favorite fonts, it’s time to install them by following the instructions below.
How to install fonts (Typefaces) in Windows 11
When you’re ready, you can follow the steps to install new fonts in windows 11:
- Most fonts come in a zip file, so the first thing to do is extract them to an easily accessible location.
- When you’re ready to install a font, open the File Browser to the location of the font you want and double-click it.
- After double-clicking on the font, a window will open with a sample of what it looks like. If you’re ready to use it, click the button Install from the top.
- The font will be installed on your system and will be available where fonts usually reside. Also, it should be moved to the default font location, which is C:WindowsFonts.
- It’s also worth noting that there is another way to install the fonts. For example, you can right-click the font file, select Show More Options from the menu, and click Install on the classic context menu.
- Once the new font is installed, you can use it in any application that allows you to choose different fonts, such as Microsoft Word.
How to quickly install new fonts in Windows 11
Microsoft is making it easy for users to install fonts by simply dragging them onto the Setting.
You can drag and drop to install fonts by following the steps below:
- open Start > Setting and select Personalization > Sources.
- When you open the section Sources, you will find a box to install font files. Simply drag the fonts you’ve downloaded from File Explorer into the box.
That’s it. Your fonts will move to C:WindowsFonts and will be available through your applications such as Microsoft Word or PowerPoint.
How to uninstall a font from Windows 11
Don’t like a font you’ve installed? You can quickly remove it.
For uninstall a font in Windows 11follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key to open the menu Start and select Setting.
- when it opens Setting, go to Personalization in the list on the left, scroll down to the right and click Sources.
- If you know the name of your source, type it in the field available fonts and click on the menu three points.
- Click on uninstall in the menu that appears.
- Press the button uninstall when the verification message appears.
Your font will be uninstalled and will no longer appear in the directory C:WindowsFonts. It will also not be accessible in other apps you use.
How to install fonts from Microsoft
If you’re not comfortable installing fonts from the Internet, you can get them from the Microsoft Store.
Follow the steps below to install fonts from the Microsoft Store:
- Start the app Microsoft Store from the taskbar and look for sources when it opens.
- Browse through the available fonts and click on the one you like.
- You’ll get a short description and screenshots showing the font in action. Click the button Obtain.
That’s it. Your font will be installed and available in the directory C:WindowsFonts.
Customizing fonts in Windows
By following the steps above, you should be able to install new fonts on Windows 11 PC.
The process is easy, but you could spend a lot of time working with them in your documents. Finding the perfect font can take time, so keep that in mind. Don’t download more fonts than you have time to work with.