Podcasts are the perfect audio experience when you’re on the go. The only problem is the internet, because how can you stream a podcast without a stable connection?
In those situations, podcasts may buffer or stop playing altogether. Luckily, most podcast apps for iPhone or Android offer the ability to download and listen to a podcast offline.
Having podcasts to listen to offline is very useful if you travel a lot, jog or drive through areas without data. If you’re not sure, here’s how to listen to a podcast offline.
How to Listen to a Podcast Offline on iPhone or iPad
To listen to a podcast offline on an iPhone or iPad, you have to first download it while connected to the Internet.
To download a podcast on iPhone or iPad:
- open the podcast app on your iPhone.
- Find the podcast you want an episode of. You can browse categories, select from your library of programs, or search for a specific one.
- After you find the podcast you want, scroll down and find the episode(s) you want to download.
- Play the three dots icon next to the episode you want to download.
- When the menu appears, press the option Download Episode.
- Wait while the episode downloads to your iPhone or iPad. The time it takes varies depending on the length of the podcast.
- Now when you don’t have a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection, you can listen to your podcast(s) offline: tap the Play next to the episode.
- If you download multiple episodes, you can find them more easily by pressing the button Library and touching the option Discharged.
- A list of podcast episodes you’ve downloaded will appear—touch the one you want to listen to.
- After listening to your podcast, you may want to delete it to save space on your device. Touch the icon of three points and select delete download on the menu.
How to listen to a podcast offline on Android
The idea of listening to a podcast on Android is essentially the same. Find your podcast, download it with a strong data connection, and listen offline.
To download a podcast for offline listening on Android:
- open the google podcasts app on your phone or tablet.
- Find the episode of the podcast you want to download and tap the icon Arrow down To download it.
- You can also tap on the podcast for more information and tap the download button next to the list of podcasts.
- Wait for the podcast episodes to download. The time it takes varies.
- Once the programs have been downloaded to your device, press the button Library from the bottom navigation bar.
- Choose downloads in the menu: you can play the program while you are offline.
- You will see the list of your downloaded podcast episodes.
- To delete podcasts, tap the three dots icon in the upper right corner and choose the option to delete podcasts.
- It is important to note that there is a different green arrow next to the programs in the Downloads. It’s a bit confusing, but that button will prompt you to delete a download.
Listen to podcasts offline
If you want to listen to podcasts offline, the steps above will allow you to do so on your smartphone or tablet. Just make sure you download them in advance and you’ll be good to go. Whether you’re using an Android or Apple device, the official podcast apps we’ve mentioned allow you to listen to a podcast offline with ease.
Also keep in mind that there are hundreds of third-party podcast apps available for iPhone and Android users. If you’re using a standalone podcast app, the idea is the same, but the steps vary.