Every once in a while we need to printeven if we have a chrome book. Although, the idea of these devices is to stay connected to online services. On some other occasion we will need a printed copy of our work.
Before continuing, we must clarify that the Cloud Print system, which made printing too easy with any device connected to the cloud, ceased to exist. Which means that some printers may not work on a Chromebook. Before buying a printer, it would be advisable to make sure that it is compatible with ChromeOS. In this pagewe can find several models that are 100% compatible.
Add a wireless printer
As long as we have a brand new printer that is capable of connecting to the internet, we should be able to print from a Chromebook without the need for additional services.
The first thing will be to make sure that the printer is turned on and connected to the same Wi-Fi network as our computer. Obviously, the process to connect a printer varies depending on the model and brand. Although, usually, we find an Internet or Wi-Fi option somewhere in the settings of the printer itself. Once we have the printer connected to the same Wi-Fi network, we go directly to the Chromebook.
- We click on the clock that is in the lower right corner of the screen. Then we will have to click again, but this time on the gear icon to open the settings.
- We’ll type Print in the search box at the top, and then we’ll choose Add Printer from the drop-down menu.
- Next, we are going to click on the name of the printer that appears and then we are going to click on Configure to finish the pairing.
- It may be that an older printer appears. So we will have to add the manufacturer and model in the pop-up box that appears.
Add an older wireless printer
In case our printer does not appear in the list, something that can happen in case it is an older device, we will have to click on the Add printer button.
- We will assign the desired name.
- We will write the IP address in the address box (it is possible to find the IP address somewhere in the display menu of the printer. We can also look for our configuration in the network configuration section).
- We will leave the rest of the fields as they are, although we will click on the blue Add button and we will have to write the printer manufacturer and model (For example, “HP” and “Officejet Pro 8600) and choose the relevant options as we go. appear. Then we will click Add.
Print from a Chromebook
The last option is ideal for those printers that are older and do not have an internet connection. We can connect them via USB cable, it is also an option for new printers in case we do not want to use any of the previous methods.
- We connect the cable to the printer and the other end to the Chromebook.
- A pop-up window will appear asking us to configure our printer. In the pop-up window, we will have to select “Add printer” and follow the instructions.
- In case it does not appear, we will open the Chromebook settings and type “Print” in the search box.
- Among the results we choose Printing.
- To finish, we will click on the name of the printer and then Add.
And that would be it, now the only thing left to do is to press Ctrl+P in any browser or application tab and a pop-up window will appear with all the options to be able to print.