When you install Spotify on your laptop or desktop, it is set to open by default. This means that the Spotify app will start running in the background and launch itself when you log in to your PC.
Having Spotify (and other apps) start during the boot process will increase boot time significantly. Even if you don’t care about your PC’s boot time, you may be annoyed that Spotify opens immediately.
To help you, we will show you how to stop Spotify from opening at startup on Windows 10 and 11 by following the steps below.
How to stop Spotify from opening automatically at Windows startup
One of the ways to stop Spotify from opening on startup is by changing the Spotify app preferences.
To prevent Spotify from opening at startup with settings, please do the following:
- Open the application of Spotify from the menu Start or the taskbar if it is not already open.
- When it opens, click the menu button three points in the upper left corner and select Edit > Preferences on the menu.
- Scroll down and click the button Show advanced configuration of the screen of Setting.
- Keep scrolling down until you find the section Startup and Windows Behavior. To the right of Open Spotify automatically after login on computerclick the dropdown menu.
- The menu offers three options in which you must select Minimized if you want it to run on startup but not open full screen. To prevent Spotify from opening completely at startup, select No on the menu. if you choose Yes, it will still open when you log in, which is not what you want.
After making your selection, you can exit Settings and enjoy your Spotify audio. Make sure to set it to No, so that Spotify will stop running during startup when you connect.
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup using Task Manager
If you don’t want to rummage through Spotify settings, you can stop Spotify (and other apps) from running at startup via Task Manager in Windows 11 or Windows 10.
To prevent Spotify from opening on startup via Task Manager, follow the steps below:
- In Windows 10, you can right-click on an empty area of the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Open Task Manager in Windows 11 is different, but the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc works in both versions.
- When the window opens Task Managerselect the tab Start.
- Now locate Spotify in the application list. Right-click on it and click To disable in the menu that appears.
Now Spotify is disabled to launch, and it won’t launch when you log in to your PC. While you are on the Startup tab in task manager, you may want to disable other startup applications.
How to stop Spotify from opening with Windows settings
Another option to prevent Spotify from opening at startup is to use the Spotify app. Setting.
To prevent Spotify from opening through Settings in Windows 11 or 10, follow the steps below:
- open the menu Start and click Setting. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Windows + I to directly open the Setting.
- When Settings opens, click Applications from the list on the left and select the option Start right.
- Next, in the Startup Apps section, find the app Spotify (you can filter them by name or state) and deactivate the switch.
- In Windows 10, you can stop Spotify from starting by going to Home > Settings > Apps > Homeoy deactivating Spotify in the section of startup applications.
Of course, Spotify is available on multiple platforms, and works differently between them. For example, you can use Spotify voice commands on your mobile device. If you like custom playlists, you can change playlist image.
However, Spotify is not without its problems, and you will want fix it when it stops working. If you are not satisfied with the service or you don’t like it anymore, you can delete your Spotify account.