Use Apple Pay to make contactless payments more securely is too simple. The digital wallet service is completely free and on top of that, it is integrated into our device. So there is absolutely no need to download anything.
With Apple Pay we can make purchases in person without having to carry our credit or debit cards, cash, or even our wallet! We can even shop online from our Mac more securely.
Before learning how to use Apple Pay we have to verify that our device is compatible. Except for iPhone 5S, any iPhone with Touch ID or Face ID can use Apple Play. It is also possible to use it on some iPads with Touch ID or Face ID, including all Apple Watches since Series 1. Mac models with Touch ID may also be compatible. If we want a little more information about it, we recommend consulting this section.
Something else that we must take into account is to have a credit or debit card that is compatible, something that we can verify from here. In turn, it is essential to have an Apple ID signed in to iCloud.
Set up on iPhone
First we are going to have to add the card to our device.
- We open the Wallet application.
- Click on the “+” icon.
- Under Available Cards, we will choose Debit or Credit Card.
- We press Continue.
- In this section, we have the possibility to take a picture of the card or enter the data manually.
- We proceed to verify the data and accept the terms and conditions.
- We will choose if we want this card to be the default.
After doing this on iPhone, it’s going to be much easier in the future to add the same cards to our Apple devices in general. That is why it is recommended to start with our iPhone.
From an Apple Watch
In case we want to use Apple Pay on our Apple Watch, we will have to enable an access code. This is something totally necessary; Otherwise, we will not be able to continue.
- The first thing we will do is open the Watch app on iPhone.
- Let’s go to the My Watch tab.
- Next, we head down to find Wallet and Apple Pay.
- Now we will follow the steps we mentioned above.
- In case we already added cards on our iPhone, we would have to see them under Other cards on your iPhone. We will press Add on each one to add them to the smart watch.
On an iPad or Mac
From an iPad or Mac we can also use them to buy things on the internet or send money.
- We go to Settings on iPad or System Preferences on Mac.
- Next, we will choose Wallet and Apple Pay.
- We choose Add card.
- All of the above cards will be available.
- We choose the ones we want to add.
- We press Continue.
How to use Apple Pay
The first thing will be to configure the default card, especially if we have more than one card associated with the application. Additionally, if we want to send and receive money in the messages app, we will have to have the Apple Cash card activated.
Apple also requires two-factor authentication when using Apple Pay; therefore, we will have to enable a passcode on Apple Watch or have a device that supports Touch or Face ID. Although if we want to skip this part, it is possible to designate an express transit card.
We will access the mentioned options from Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay on iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. In the case of Mac we will have to go to System Preferences> Wallet and Apple Pay.
How to pay with my device
To be able to pay for a product with an iPhone that has Face ID, we will have to press the side button twice. We will see that the default card appears and the phone will request authentication with Face ID. In case it is not feasible, we will enter the access or security code. With Touch ID devices, the process is the same, only we will authenticate with the finger.
In the case of Apple Watch, we will have to press the side button twice to see the default card. Once we’ve done this, we’ll need to position the device on the contactless payment reader.
From an application or Safari, we will have to click on the Apple Pay button to complete the purchase. This will be when you ask us to authenticate the identity with Touch ID or Face ID, depending on the device.