- Eventually, Chrome OS may show you a Camera not found message
- This can be due to both hardware failures and, above all, software errors.
- What are the main causes of the problem and how to rule them out one by one?
Partly at the request of readers and partly because of the novelty that they continue to imply, we have been talking a lot about Chromebook in recent months, trying to dwell on all the details regarding these devices. In this case, if you want to broadcast or make a video call but can’t, It is essential to analyze what to do if the camera of your Chromebook does not work and what are the causes of the problem.
In general terms, our experience and that of most users indicates that hardware-related issues are not very common on ChromebooksBut that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.
On the other hand, if your Chrome OS laptop shows you a Camera not found message could also be due to software issues, so it is imperative to discard them one by one.
Chromebook camera not working: how to fix it?
Restart your Chromebook
You’ve probably already done this, but just in case, always start by restarting your device.. Infinite are the occasions in which a reboot of any computer causes its problems to be solved.
We leave you an article with a step-by-step guide to restart your laptop with Chrome in a few minutes.
Check the camera in other apps
If so far you have noticed that the camera does not work in any application, it remains for you to check what happens with others. Open more video conferencing programs until you verify that the camera does not open in any of them.
- With that done, open the Chrome OS App Launcher from the bottom left corner
- Enter Camera and check if the camera application shows a preview or some content
Whether you actually see what the camera should be taking is a permissions issue, so read on.
Enable camera permission
as we said, the whole problem could be specifically associated with camera permissions.
- Open the app where the camera is not working, and look for the lock icon in the address bar
- Open the Site Settings, and in the Permissions section change the one from Camera to Allow
- If you want to do that, you can also change the one from Microphone to Allow here.
- Go back to the page and test the camera, it should now work fine
If the problem persists, go to the following address:
Once there, make sure the Default Behavior is Sites can request to use your camera. When you have done it, repeat the previous tutorial that we just left you, granting the permissions to the camera.
Update Chrome OS
It seems that the most recent versions of Chrome OS do not facilitate the stability of the camera on Chromebooks. Google Developers recommend quickly upgrading to versions above Chrome OS 99.
You will find that upgrading Google’s mobile operating system is an extremely simple task.
Check the camera’s privacy switch
Some Chromebooks, especially those from HP, have a privacy switch next to the webcam. If the webcam is turned off you will see a red light indicator, so take the trouble to turn the switch off.
reset the browser
If the camera issue is limited to Chrome browser but does not affect others, you should do a factory reset. Resetting Chrome to default settings is the same on a Chromebook as it is on any other device.
In case you don’t remember or don’t want to go to another article, just open Chrome and paste this address:
You should automatically click on Reset settings, and that’s it. Wait for Chrome to restart. When it does, the problem should definitely be in the past, so check it out.
Reset your Chromebook
Finally, if none of the above solutions worked, there is no alternative but to restart your Chromebook. Reboot no longer lightly, like the first time, but reset it to the factory, which means that you will need to reinstall Chrome OS and remove all files, apps preferences and preferences.
Therefore, it is essential that you make a backup to avoid losing those items.
- Open the Quick Settings panel in the bottom right corner
- Click on the gear icon in the Settings app
- In the left bar, go to Advanced and Reset settings
- Once inside this section, click on Reset
your chromebook it will factory reset in a few minutes and your camera should respond normally. Unfortunately, if it still does not show you images, or it is more likely that the hardware is damaged.
Have any of these Chromebook camera not working solutions worked for you?