One of the problems with Windows 10 is text blurring in individual applications in different programs. The writing becomes blurry and uncomfortable to read. You can avoid this kind of incorrect display by fixing blurry font in Windows 10. We have compiled six of the most reliable ways to do this.
1. Changing settings in “Parameters.”
The easiest way to remove blurry fonts in Windows 10 applications is to use the built-in System Settings utility. To do this, you will have to perform the following actions:
- In the open application, go to “System.”
- Select “Display.”
- At the very bottom of the “Scale and Layout” settings group, click on the link to additional scaling parameters.
- Enable the fix scaling option here.
- Open a program that is experiencing blur. If you receive a notification that applications with problems were found, agree to the fixes.
Here you can get rid of blur by lowering DPI settings. The user will have to complete the first two items of the same list, and then, instead of following the link, set the value to 100% in the text resizing menu. In the end, you should exit Windows and go back.
2. Using the Compatibility Tab
Sometimes, blurry fonts in Windows 10 can only be noticed in some programs – when there is no such effect in system applications. This means that incorrect scaling may have been the cause. It should be disabled or reconfigured, depending on the OS version.
To solve the problem, the user must find the executable file of the desired program. Then right-click on it and select Properties from the context menu. After going to the “Compatibility” tab, you should perform specific actions, depending on the system’s version.
- So, for Windows 10 from 1507 to 1607, check the box to disable scaling at high screen resolutions.
- For Windows 10, starting with version 1703, it is no longer a shutdown that is selected, but an override of the mode, after which it is indicated whether the settings will be applied to the application or the system as a whole.
3. Changing the scaling method
Another technique involves returning the scaling method used in previous versions of the system. Sometimes this method works better than others. And to implement it, you should follow these steps:
- Run the registry editor utility (in the Run menu, enter Regedit).
- Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER and go first to the Control section and then to Desktop.
- For DpiScalingVer, enter 0x00001018 (1018 for hexadecimal).
- Set Win8DpiScaling to 1.
- Create a 32-bit DWORD key, name it LogPixels and enter 0x00000078DPI_reg3 as the value.
After rebooting the system, the user is unlikely to encounter blurred inscriptions. However, this method is rather complicated due to the need to make changes to the registry. To avoid problems, it’s worth creating a system restore point just in case.
4. Anti-aliasing setting
By enabling font anti-aliasing, you can get rid of problems with displaying characters. To do this, you will have to do the following:
- Open the section of additional system parameters (tab “System and Security”).
- Select performance parameters.
- Please find in the list the item responsible for smoothing the font’s unevenness and turn it on.
The system’s built-in ClearType function can also smooth fonts. The easiest way to find the file that launches it into operation is by entering the search bar’s name. Now you can try to enable or disable ClearType, change the settings, and achieve the desired result, save the changes.
5. DPI Fix utility
You can try to fix the blur problem using a third-party DPI Fix utility. The probability of a positive result when using it is relatively high. And the fix is done automatically: select the Use Windows 8.1 DPI scaling option and click Apply.
When using the program, you should know that you will have to open it every time you start the system. Therefore, it is advisable to set it to autoload – after adjusting DPI, the utility will close itself. Another small drawback of this method is the reduction in font sizes for Flash Player, which is integrated into the Microsoft Edge browser.
6. Troubleshoot resolution issues
One of the reasons why a blurry font in Windows 10 is not related to the operating system’s version at all. Blurring is caused by incorrectly selected (or automatically) resolution. Therefore, before starting the setup, you should make sure which formats the monitor supports. Information about this can be found on the web.
To manually adjust the parameters, the user must go to the “Desktop” and click in any free space with the right mouse button. Here you should select the screen parameters and set the required resolution on the “Display” tab. If the required format is not there, you should try reinstalling the video card drivers.